Re: Testing impact of Red Hat office closure

On Mon, 2020-03-16 at 18:52 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi QA team,
> >
> > As many of you may already know, Red Hat has asked all employees to work
> > from home[1]. Given the current global conditions, I want to start
> > understanding the impact if Red Hat offices are closed as we approach the
> > Fedora 32 Final (currently targeted for 21 April).
> >
> > What tests require physical hardware that resides in Brno or other offices?
> >

> Hi, regarding just the Brno office (i.e. skipping tests that we couldn't do
> anyway), and looking at our matrices [1]:
>
> * Testcase_Boot_default_install (i.e. the whole "Default boot and install"
> section) -- This is going to apply to everything that *requires* a bare
> metal machines, like this test case. Folks often don't have spare bare
> metal machines that they can fully reinstall several times per day. And
> when they do, it might be something slow, or it might not be able to boot
> in UEFI mode (as is my case, an old notebook which takes an hour to install
> and 5 minutes to boot, BIOS only). So our performance in these cases is
> likely to be severely affected. This might prevent any "test this RC in 24
> hours" efforts (that is also related to a narrow bandwidth Internet for
> some of us).

I have a dedicated test box that can do an install in twenty minutes or
so and works fine for both BIOS and UEFI installs. So I can cover a lot
of these tests if necessary. I might need a faster USB stick though...

> * Testcase_install_to_firmware_RAID -- Firmware RAID is in one of our
> office test machines, we probably can't evaluate this one.

My test box has firmware RAID, but it's a controller the kernel doesn't
support :/ This is one we need to find someone to cover.

> * Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Basic_Video_Driver -- This will likely
> be affected by a more limited selection of bare metals we'll have access to
> (often older to what is in our office, which is old already).

My test box has a Radeon adapter, IIRC, and I can run this test on it.
I can also boot a live image (although not really run an install) to
basic mode on my laptops, which have Intel and NVIDIA.

> * Testcase_dualboot_with_windows -- This will be affected by the lack of
> bare metal machines.
> * Testcase_dualboot_with_macOS -- Our old Mac Mini stayed in the office, so
> we can't evaluate this one. OTOH, our tests decrease in value every cycle,
> because our Mac is archaic and doesn't even contain the latest OS version,
> so it differs very much from what is commonly available on the market these
> days.

In future we should probably request some budget to get a newer Mac. I
can't really help with either of these easily (don't have a test box
with Windows on any more), unfortunately.

> * Testcase_audio_basic, Testcase_desktop_menus, Testcase_desktop_automount
> -- These might be harder to check with the exact RC due to limited access
> to bare metal (unless we want to reinstall our own laptops each time). This
> mostly affects certain applications that often behave differently on bare
> metal than in a VM, like video players, or testing hw-only stuff like USB,
> webcam, suspend, etc. But since we all run F32 now (I think), our own
> laptops provide us with a decent level of certainty that that stuff works
> (even when we're not in that exact software configuration).
> * Testcase_Printing_New_Printer (real printer) - Only few people have a
> real printer at home, I think. I don't.

I have one, though it's usually connected by ethernet, I can probably
temporarily connect it via USB to my test box to check this.

> Regarding our Beijing office, I think these will be affected as well:
> * Testcase_install_to_FCoE_target
> * Testcase_install_to_multipath

I *think* Lili actually accesses these via Beaker, so they still may be
possible.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey