Re: Testing impact of Red Hat office closure

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi QA team,

As many of you may already know, Red Hat has asked all employees to work from home[1]. Given the current global conditions, I want to start understanding the impact if Red Hat offices are closed as we approach the Fedora 32 Final (currently targeted for 21 April).

What tests require physical hardware that resides in Brno or other offices?

Hi, regarding just the Brno office (i.e. skipping tests that we couldn't do anyway), and looking at our matrices [1]:

* Testcase_Boot_default_install (i.e. the whole "Default boot and install" section) -- This is going to apply to everything that *requires* a bare metal machines, like this test case. Folks often don't have spare bare metal machines that they can fully reinstall several times per day. And when they do, it might be something slow, or it might not be able to boot in UEFI mode (as is my case, an old notebook which takes an hour to install and 5 minutes to boot, BIOS only). So our performance in these cases is likely to be severely affected. This might prevent any "test this RC in 24 hours" efforts (that is also related to a narrow bandwidth Internet for some of us).
* Testcase_install_to_firmware_RAID -- Firmware RAID is in one of our office test machines, we probably can't evaluate this one.
* Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_Basic_Video_Driver -- This will likely be affected by a more limited selection of bare metals we'll have access to (often older to what is in our office, which is old already).
* Testcase_dualboot_with_windows -- This will be affected by the lack of bare metal machines.
* Testcase_dualboot_with_macOS -- Our old Mac Mini stayed in the office, so we can't evaluate this one. OTOH, our tests decrease in value every cycle, because our Mac is archaic and doesn't even contain the latest OS version, so it differs very much from what is commonly available on the market these days.
* Testcase_audio_basic, Testcase_desktop_menus, Testcase_desktop_automount -- These might be harder to check with the exact RC due to limited access to bare metal (unless we want to reinstall our own laptops each time). This mostly affects certain applications that often behave differently on bare metal than in a VM, like video players, or testing hw-only stuff like USB, webcam, suspend, etc. But since we all run F32 now (I think), our own laptops provide us with a decent level of certainty that that stuff works (even when we're not in that exact software configuration).
* Testcase_Printing_New_Printer (real printer) - Only few people have a real printer at home, I think. I don't.

Regarding our Beijing office, I think these will be affected as well:
* Testcase_install_to_FCoE_target
* Testcase_install_to_multipath

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_32_Beta_1.2_Summary