Re: Stream

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 14:41 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:32:05AM -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > As time passes, my curiosity has grown concerning the realignment of
> > Redhat, Fedora, and CentOS.
>
> That seems good. But I'm not sure this is the right mailing list for it,
> unless you specifically mean in the context of testing and QA.
>
> > The article in Fedora Magazine didn't seem very definitive;
> > especially after RHEL 9. The article commentary seemed upbeat and
> > good. So I'm guessing all long time participants who are very
> > knowledgeable understand more details.
>
> I wrote the article, and I think I put most of what I know at a high level
> into it. I can provide more if you have specific questions.
>

> > Does anyone know if there is anything available or coming that will
> > help us who aren't so knowledgeable understand?
>
> I assume you also saw
> https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOSStream? If not, does that
> help? If you did and it didn't help, what is missing?

FWIW, my take on CentOS Stream as regards Fedora QA is that, at least
in the short to medium term, it won't really have any direct impact at
all. Things like Modularity, Rawhide multi-package gating and the
introduction of IoT and CoreOS as official editions are going to be
rather more significant to us. Stream is probably a lot more
significant to you if you're interested in the development of *RHEL*.

In strict practical terms, Stream is most obviously a change in how
development of RHEL happens *downstream of Fedora*, after a RHEL major
version has branched from Fedora. Since the change is downstream of
Fedora it's not massively significant to us.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey