Re: Upgrading from F30 to F31 beta reboot issue

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:38 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/7/19 12:33 PM, alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > If you use --allowerasing, the upgrade transaction works, but since that
> > flag does not get passed to the upgrade after the reboot, the process
> > fails because it tries to upgrade those packages and they were never
> > downloaded.
>
> That is certainly not true, because I have had to use that on most
> upgrades.  The problem is somewhere else and it's hard to tell why dnf
> is coming up with a different transaction on the reboot phase.  I wonder
> if a temporary workaround would be for you to manually download those
> missing packages and put them in the sysupgrade directory before rebooting.

Do they exist? I'd expect if they exist, then --allow-erasing wouldn't
be needed in the first place?

Anyway, gnome-software does use --allow-erasing. I don't know how that
gets passed off to
/usr/lib/systemd/system/packagekit-offline-update.service

But that's an interesting distinction between dnf and gnome-software,
they're using different offline update services to perform the
upgrade, where dnf uses
/usr/lib/systemd/system/dnf-system-upgrade.service

What happens if the dnf upgrade utility always called --allow-erasing?
That doesn't seem bad does it?

--
Chris Murphy