Re: trying to "dnf system-upgrade" to F30 reboots and hangs

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 6:55 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   still following the instructions here for upgrading to fedora 30:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
>
> and, this time, the (massive) download succeeded, at which time i ran:
>
>   $ sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot
>
> the result of which was to ... hang. black screen. the laptop was
> still powered up (backlit keyboard was still backlit), but nothing on
> the screen, even after i left it for a while just to make sure it
> wasn't simply taking a long time.

Did that command complete? i.e. did you see a new prompt? Or did it go
black as if it were rebooting, but it never rebooted?

So the problem here, with the Fedora 29 feature to hide the boot menu
by default, is that on quite a lot of hardware, it's not clear at all
whether such hangs are failure to reboot in the current boot, or
failure at the bootloader, or failure during boot (kernel+initramfs),
or failure during startup (systemd onward).

My advice for all testers:

- enable a one time show boot menu for 60 second
$ sudo grub2-editenv - set menu_show_once=1

- Now do `system-upgrade reboot`

- At the grub menu insert the following boot parameter
systemd.debug-shell=1

That enables early debug shell, soon after systemd is running. The
shell is on tty9, and it gives root access without credentials
required! Super powerful, super duper security risk. So I advise
adding it only at the grub menu, for one time use.

--
Chris Murphy