Re: proposal: drop optical media from release criteria

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:36 PM Harold Dost <harolddost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is having this as a test criteria *that* burdensome? Similar to another blocker that was being proposed, maybe it's not something that _must_ be tested, but if it's known to be broken that it should block a final. Maybe I'm missing something, but unless the image is over the capacity of a DVD, what would prevent the success of an installation?

We did have a bug a couple years ago or so, where the ISO written to
USB booted fine, but when burned to optical media wouldn't boot
anything including VM. It was a bootloader bug, if I recall correctly
- pretty sure it hit BIOS firmware only, not UEFI.

But yeah it does sound reasonable to have the same "if it's known to
be broken" then block, similar to the request for printing. But if
we're gonna do that I think it should be netinstall. That has rescue
capability live does not, and it's smaller so it fits the CD and DVD
use case broadly, unlike live which is DVD only due to size. Since all
the netinstalls are in effect based on boot.iso and are all pretty
much identical (branding and default partitioning are differentiated),
as long as boot.iso can successfully boot by optical drive, all the
editions can have a rescue+installer that'll boot them.

--
Chris Murphy