Re: kernel update process (failure)

On 03/21/2018 05:25 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I know this isn't strictly a "test" question.  But I think maybe more folks with
> greater insight my be lurking here.
>
> In troubleshooting a kernel update issue on the user's list it was finally determined
> that if one erased "grubby" the kernel would not get upgraded properly.  RPM would
> show the new kernel installed but it would not be in the boot menu and the needed
> files would not be in /boot.  There is a scriplet error, but it is called "nonfatal".
>
> I feel this to be a bugzilla.  So, my question is, should kernel-core require
> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg or should it be a "protected" package in the dnf configuration?
> Or something else?

Technically yes, the kernel should require new-kernel-pkg since it uses
it in the scriptlet. However, this might be a special case, because on
some arches we don't use grub2. But perhaps it could be conditionalized.

I'd say file a kernel bug or perhaps just mail the
kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list to discuss.

kevin