kernel update process (failure)

I know this isn't strictly a "test" question.  But I think maybe more folks with
greater insight my be lurking here.

In troubleshooting a kernel update issue on the user's list it was finally determined
that if one erased "grubby" the kernel would not get upgraded properly.  RPM would
show the new kernel installed but it would not be in the boot menu and the needed
files would not be in /boot.  There is a scriplet error, but it is called "nonfatal".

I feel this to be a bugzilla.  So, my question is, should kernel-core require
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg or should it be a "protected" package in the dnf configuration?
Or something else?

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.