Re: 3rd Party software submission

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 12:47:50 -0400, Christian Fredrik Schaller wrote:
> Well the current enablement of 3rd party software is meant to include stuff in
> that regards and I think the revised text that was worked on with among others
> Matthew Miller tried to come up with something better than the current
> screenshots.

What screenshots are you referring to here?

> Also in the GNOME software the licensing field do put the work
> Proprietary in a bright red colour box which to me signals 'warning' since red
> usually is used as the colour of negative alerts. So I do think we are covering
> this and I think that is good,

No, see, it isn't good enough.

What does the word "proprietary" mean to an end user that is targeted
here---one that is not necessarily part of the Open source eco system
and has no context?

What does it say about Free Software, and its importance?

What does it say about how and why the Fedora community has made a
commitment to this movement?

Nothing at all. So, no, the "proprietary" label is not enough.

> but we should be careful not to get to the stage
> where installing Chrome comes with a blinking warning saying 'You can install
> this, but be aware that we morally judge your for it' :)

I won't reply to this hyperbolic comment. What I will do, is quote the
"Freedom" foundation from here instead:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-project/project/fedora-overview.html

"We are dedicated to free software and content.

Advancing software and content freedom is a central community goal,
which we accomplish through the software and content we promote. We
choose free alternatives to proprietary code and content and limit the
effects of proprietary or patent encumbered code on the Project.

Sometimes this goal prevents us from taking the easy way out by
including proprietary or patent encumbered software in Fedora. But by
concentrating on the free software and content we provide and promote,
the end result is that we are able to provide:

- releases that are predictable and 100% legally redistributable for
  everyone;
- innovation in free and open source software that can equal or exceed
  closed source or proprietary solutions;
- and, a completely free project that anyone can emulate or copy in
  whole or in part for their own purposes.
"

So, how is this new feature is coherent with this in its current form?

What do the other community members think please?

--
Thanks,
Regards,

Ankur Sinha "FranciscoD"