Re: [Test-Announce] Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 09:23:58 +0800
Ed Greshko <ed.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And how about
> https://www.windowscentral.com/all-modern-processors-impacted-new-meltdown-and-spectre-exploits  ;
> ?

> Unless there is a significant performance hit isn't it better to just
> be safe and make it for all?

Wow, SPECTRE is an ingenious attack, and devastating. It will be
interesting to read the fix that is implemented for it.  If the fix is
for spectre as well as meltdown, yes, it makes sense to put it on all
modern processors.

But, if I don't have to take a hit to processing power, I'd rather
not.  i.e. if the fix is only for meltdown, and I'm not affected, why
take the hit?