Re: [Test-Announce] Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

On 01/04/18 09:13, stan wrote:
> Again, from my reading on the web this only affects Intel CPUs of the
> last decade.  So, no other manufacturer or architecture needs to have
> the fix applied.

I don't know about that.  Going to https://meltdownattack.com/ it reads....

Which systems are affected by Meltdown?
Desktop, Laptop, and Cloud computers may be affected by Meltdown. More technically,
every Intel processor which implements out-of-order execution is potentially
affected, which is effectively every processor since 1995 (except Intel Itanium and
Intel Atom before 2013). We successfully tested Meltdown on Intel processor
generations released as early as 2011. Currently, we have only verified Meltdown on
Intel processors. At the moment, it is unclear whether ARM and AMD processors are
also affected by Meltdown.

Notice the last sentence.

And how about
https://www.windowscentral.com/all-modern-processors-impacted-new-meltdown-and-spectre-exploits  ;
?

Unless there is a significant performance hit isn't it better to just be safe and
make it for all?

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly