Re: [Test-Announce] Call for testing: updates to address today's CPU/kernel vulnerability

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:02:11 -0800
Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * We know that the fix can lead to reduced performance in some cases
> (this affects synthetic benchmarks rather more than real-world
> performance). The kernel team thinks the fix is sufficiently important
> that it should go out despite the performance impact. Accordingly,
> please do not file negative karma for this reason. If the update
> somehow results in such a significant performance impact that the
> system becomes unusable, though, please report that.

>From my reading about the problem on the web, the fix always has a
degrading effect on performance, since the page table can no longer be
kept in the program memory space, so has to be reloaded every time a
system call is made.

> * The fix is currently applied only to x86_64 kernels. No fix is yet
> present for any other architecture, but of course all architectures
> are rebuilt for the update.

Again, from my reading on the web this only affects Intel CPUs of the
last decade.  So, no other manufacturer or architecture needs to have
the fix applied.

There is a lot of hype and speculation about this, but AMD *have* stated
that their CPUs are not affected by the exploit.