Re: keyboard producing diacritics (acute accent, dot-above, cedilla-below)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 02:06:26 +0000 (UTC)
George R Goffe <grgoffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Text widgets like email in Firefox and various sites, including
> bugzilla.redhat.com. Sigh.

Then I can confirm.  I just finished updating a bugzilla ticket in
rawhide, and there were no issues.

> Except for the fact that this is a rawhide system, it's been quite
> stable. This system has a lot of the package groups installed. I did
> this to look for package and packagemanagement bugs. I did the group
> installs "with optional" right after I did the install. The problem
> didn't appear until later, a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, I've found rawhide has been very stable recently, as well.

> I am sure it's something in the system because I rarely use Opera. I
> am a fairly heavy user of Firefox. They used to have an option for
> "Western" encoding but that has gone away and the view->text encoding
> seems adamant on "unicode", autodetect is off. Also, I removed as
> much of KDE related files (.kde* .config* .gtk* .cache* .gnome*) from
> my userid and then started kde freshly. Either I missed a file or
> it's not KDE. I'm going to try both with WindowMaker.

You could try starting firefox from a terminal in -safe-mode to see if
it is something in your add-ons.
/usr/bin/firefox -safe-mode
And that also gives you an option to reset the browser, though you
lose all history and cache. Also, try starting with a different user,
one you just created.

> The keyboard is a USB HP version and has "US" on the back... I
> haven't swapped out the keyboard yet though. I'm grasping at straws.

I doubt it is the keyboard.