Re: more things like critpath?

On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 14:46 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:17:02AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Also I have a request to make a drop-in-files thing which I hope will
> > > be easier for packagers than dealing with wiki categories, which seems
> > > to be a barrier.
> >
> > Erf. At some point I have to push back against all the wiki hate. The
> > wiki basically *is* a bunch of text files, after all. I'm frankly
> > refusing to believe that typing this into a test case page:
> >
> > [[Category:Package_foobar_test_cases]]
> >
> > is too difficult for people to handle, and that some random text file
> > somewhere (yet *another* process to document and for people to forget
> > about keeping working) would be better.
>
> I'll put the relative dearth of test cases using the wiki model as
> exhibit A. And, the category thing isn't _really_ that simple:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_package_test_plan_creation#Simple_.28required.29_categorization
> is *definitely* the level to which someone who isn't working with
> mediawiki categories and probably our SOP for this in general might
> just say... never mind. And I'm not even talking about the "Advanced
> (optional) categorization".

I suppose I could just put a tl;dr infobox at the top, as the executive
summary *is* pretty simple.

> > > More wiki categories? :)
> >
> > Well, no, that wouldn't work, as we don't have one wiki page per
> > criterion. I did sort of intend that the names of the anchor links in
> > the criteria pages (each criterion has an anchor link) should never
> > change and can reliably be used to refer to 'the same criterion' (even
> > if we change the wording of the criterion), but we've never really made
> > that an official thing, it's mostly just in my head so far. tflink has
> > long had ideas about somehow handling the release criteria through a
> > different system (possibly blockerbugs), but never had time for it, I
> > don't think.
>
> blockerbugs as in living in (or at least exposed through) that app, or
> actually in bugzilla as trees of dependencies?

As in the app.

> But anyway, the anchor links are a *little* fragile, but maybe could
> work. But why _not_ have one page per criterion? (Transcluded in one
> big page, if that's important for convenience?)

It's more work than writing one page, I guess? I don't think anyone
ever made a specific decision to do it that way, it's just how it
naturally happened.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey