Re: more things like critpath?

On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 13:59 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:58:10PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > It seems like it would be useful if we could have a way to connect "I'm
> > > making an update in bodhi!" back to "This update is likely to affect
> > > a given release criteria". For example, it would be nice to have
> > > something show up in bodhi noting that updates to Firefox might affect
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_browser
> >
> > We can already link packages and test cases such that updates that
> > include those packages will always list those test cases:
>
> Yes. This is cool.
>
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_package_test_plan_creation
> > I believe there's possibly some kind of bug with the process of syncing
> > the wiki categories into Bodhi at present, I'm not totally sure of the
> > current status of that, but the mechanism is already there.
>
> Also I have a request to make a drop-in-files thing which I hope will
> be easier for packagers than dealing with wiki categories, which seems
> to be a barrier.

Erf. At some point I have to push back against all the wiki hate. The
wiki basically *is* a bunch of text files, after all. I'm frankly
refusing to believe that typing this into a test case page:

[[Category:Package_foobar_test_cases]]

is too difficult for people to handle, and that some random text file
somewhere (yet *another* process to document and for people to forget
about keeping working) would be better.

> > > and even better, if that would also show up for updates to Firefox's
> > > dependencies.
> >
> > This isn't done yet. (And honestly, doing it in a simple-minded way
> > would be a bit tricky; do we really want, say, every update to glibc
> > listing pretty much every package-linked test case that exists?)
>
> No. :) I don't really mean test cases; I mean release criteria and I
> just followed links too far when making an example above.
>

> > There really wouldn't be any 'tension' in adding the browser test case
> > to the firefox package categories, so we could just go ahead and do
> > that. Establishing links to *release criteria* - which is what you keep
> > saying, but then your example involves a test case and not a release
> > criterion, which confuses me a bit - is harder, because we don't really
> > have any representation of the release criteria which is easy to
> > interact with programmatically...
>
> More wiki categories? :)

Well, no, that wouldn't work, as we don't have one wiki page per
criterion. I did sort of intend that the names of the anchor links in
the criteria pages (each criterion has an anchor link) should never
change and can reliably be used to refer to 'the same criterion' (even
if we change the wording of the criterion), but we've never really made
that an official thing, it's mostly just in my head so far. tflink has
long had ideas about somehow handling the release criteria through a
different system (possibly blockerbugs), but never had time for it, I
don't think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey