Re: Last released kernel

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 18:04:04 +0000
Russel Winder <russel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-03-01 at 17:58 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-03-01 at 14:29 +0100, Sandro Mani wrote:
> > > […]
> > >
> > > This should work:
> > >
> > > koji download-build --quiet --arch=$(uname -m) $(koji
> > > latest-build --quiet f25 kernel | awk '{print $1}')
>
> I guess the import point here is that you have to track the previous
> release kernels, so for Rawhide as F26 follow the 4.9 kernels built
> for F25, For the 4.10 kernels updates will only happen when Rawhide
> moves to F27 and F26 tracks the releases. Will using a kernel built
> for a previous release always work?

I suspect the answer is 'it depends'.  If rawhide has introduced a
change to the dependencies of the kernel that is not backward
compatible, then using a kernel compiled with earlier versions of those
dependencies will probably fail on rawhide.

If you compile from the earlier src.rpm, and then install the locally
built kernel, it will work, because the kernel will use the
dependencies you have installed (they will be newer) to build.

There are instructions for building the kernel in the Fedora wiki, that
you can probably find with a search.  Then, so dnf doesn't get upset,
just install with
dnf -C [local kernel rpms]
When the install is done, just delete the local rpms.  And when you
update rawhide, be sure to use
dnf -x kernel\* update
so the kernel doesn't get replaced with a later version.

As long as you leave a good kernel around, you can always download the
earlier binary packages from koji, and just install those rpms with
dnf -C [downloaded kernel rpms]
If it breaks, boot the earlier good kernel, and dnf remove the failed
earlier kernel.