Re: Moan about dnf on Rawhide

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:50:24 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:03:45 +0100
> GERHARD GOETZHABER <shmouftler1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > To make it clear:
> >
> > 1. Just download dnf-2.1.0-1.fc26.noarch.rpm and
> > python3-dnf-2.1.0-1.fc26.noarch.rpm from
> > https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/dnf/2.1.0/1.fc26/noarch/
> > (these two files only)
> >
> > 2. # dnf install <path/>dnf-2.1.0-1.fc26.noarch.rpm
> > <path/>python3-dnf-2.1.0-1.fc26.noarch.rpm --allowerasing
> >      (According dnf-automatic, dnf-conf and dnf-yum will get
> > installed within!)
> >
> > All done - happy days are here again!  : )
>
> Not here.  I tried all kinds of variations of the above, and I keep
> getting errors.  Command 2 above gives these errors:

[snip]

> So, I forced the install of the new dnf using rpm.  And now I get the
> following error when I try to run dnf:
>
> # dnf
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/dnf", line 57, in <module>
>     from dnf.cli import main
> ImportError: No module named 'dnf'

I downgraded to the last version of dnf that uses the python 3.5 ABI,
and dnf works again, with occasional segfaults.  But it won't update
anything because there are too many conflicts with going to python
3.6.  How is this not python 4?  If the ABI changes so much between 3.5
and 3.6 that they are backward incompatible, then it isn't python3
any more.  What are the python developers thinking?

I ran a dnf --best update and there are 317 errors, and dnf skips
everything.  :-)

Most of the errors are related to the 3.6 ABI update, and packages that
aren't upgraded yet.  They propagate back up the libsolv chain, and
prevent everything else from updating.

I suppose I'll be forced to --allowerasing if I want to do a dnf
update.  Or force install the dnf dependencies of the new 3.6 ABI so I
can then run dnf update and have it update everything else.

What a mess.  Maybe a new install of rawhide would be easier.