Re: problem in F25 shutdown process

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM, stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:29:02 -0700
> stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> A little investigation showed that I don't use plymouth, so I purged
>> it root and branch.  A subsequent reboot without the systemd debug
>> options showed no delay.  I'm taking this as confirmation that the
>> problem was the plymouthd daemon.
>
> Subsequent experience (it's still happening) indicates that this was
> not the problem.  The only fix that seems to work is to use the kernel
> debug line for systemd.  I removed the enforcing=0, and type
> setenforce 0 just before I shutdown.  Then, the shutdown occurs
> quickly, so the actual errors causing the delayed shutdown aren't in
> the log.
>
> Quick glimpses as the actual messages of what is causing the delay
> flash by on the screen shows most of the messages are from systemd and
> I think I saw an auditk message, but it is so fast it is hard to read.
> There are only about a dozen lines in the delayed messages, but with
> the delay, the screen is blank by the time I could react, even to take
> a photo.

Could be a labeling problem. Might be worth 'sudo restorecon -rv /'
and then a sync and then reboot -f and see if it works with
enforcing=0 (or even without, let it enforce).

Stock Fedora 25 I have had a stop job for user 1000, that takes 90
seconds to time out. Your problem seems different. But to isolate if
this is a user environment problem, or a system problem, you could try
modifying /etc/systemd/logind.conf such that KillUserProcesses=yes
(and remove the # so it's uncommented). The gotcha with this is that
user processes are unceremoniously killed at logout time (including
restart and shutown). So if you use screen or tmux, and logout, the
tmux/screen processes get killed by virtue of tmux/screen getting
killed. There's a work around for that also which I can't articulate -
something to do with linger or gettting it to run in a separate logind
session? Anyway... just change this option temporarily for
troubleshooting purposes.

Chris Murphy

--
Chris Murphy