Re: problem in F25 shutdown process

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 04:00:50 -0500
Joerg Lechner <julechner@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi,
> i would like to compare the shutdown logs F24 and F25. Assume I can
> find it in /var/logs. Which log is to view, to see the possible error
> in the F25 shutdown in comparison to F24? Kind regards

If your shutdown delay is similar to mine, I don't think this will
work because journald, which is the main log process is stopped
(SIGTERM) at shutdown, and obeys.  Then systemd waits for the reluctant
processes to time out, and the shutdown happens.  But those reluctant
shutdown events are never logged because the logging has been stopped
before they happen.

I think maybe systemd needs to be modified so that logging is always
the very last thing to be terminated during shutdown.  Then, when the
problem occurs, it is just a simple matter of looking in journalctl to
see what the problem is.

I think the above applies even if you have rsyslog enabled as your
logging solution.  It is also sent a SIGTERM, and obeys, before these
problem processes are terminated.

You can try comparing /var/log/messages or var/log/syslog (if it
exists).

For journalctl, just run it and find the last shutdown you did to see
the messages it logs.