Re: is dnf system-upgrade tested with only one kernel installed to

On Thu, 2016-11-24 at 12:23 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> begin with?

> Forwarded thread from the users' list below. In the normal case, since
> we ask people to do a `dnf upgrade` before `dnf system-upgrade`, there
> will almost always been at least the release-day kernel and an updated
> one of the older release installed. Is the case where there's just one
> running kernel installed tested? What *would* happen in this case?

I think in at least most and probably all cases, the automated tests
wind up with more than one kernel installed before the upgrade
operation.

I'm rather confused by the thread you're replying to, though. I don't
see how any of it makes an awful lot of sense. If the case is starting
from a single installed kernel, how is increasing the
'installonly_limit' going to change anything? And if dnf didn't want to
remove the kernel that the user was at the time of running (I assume)
`dnf system-upgrade download` using successfully, how exactly would
letting it remove an older(?) kernel have 'led to disaster'? Did you
remove some important earlier context?

dnf is supposed to have a protection which prevents it removing the
currently-running kernel. If that's somehow being omitted for system-
upgrade, that's certainly a bug.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey