Re: Announces for rel.val.?

On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 08:13 +0200, Giulio E. wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been pretty busy during the last months, but I plan to return back
> on track as soon as possible (at least for the F26 cycle), in order to
> help with some testing.
>
> As far as release validation testing concerns... I noticed I haven't
> received the [Test-Announce] related to the nomination of the "Fedora
> 25 Beta 1.1" compose. The most recent one is "20160912.n.0", according
> to my notes.

The format used for the email for candidate composes is rather
different to the format used for nightly composes (for mostly
historical reasons which don't make much sense, I should get around to
fixing that). The subject for the Beta-1.1 mail was:

"Fedora 25 Candidate Beta-1.1 Available Now!"

while the subjects for nightly nomination mails look like:

"Fedora 25 Branched 20160930.n.0 nightly compose nominated for testing"

the justification (such as it is) is that *all* candidate builds are
*automatically* validation tested, while we pick and choose which
nightlies we will test (hence 'nominated for testing'). But it's still
silly, I should just rationalize them somehow.

Those mails are sent to both test@ and devel@; possibly they're winding
up in your devel@ folder?

> Has anything changed during the last weeks? Could please folks verify
> that there aren't issues related to the automatic mail system lying
> around?

Sorry to disappoint you, but there isn't really any gleaming Fedora
Mail-O-Matic machine. The 'compose check report' mails are sent out by
the openQA server box; the check-compose script simply uses python
smtplib to open a connection to an SMTP server that's available to
systems inside the Fedora infrastructure network and sends the mail out
that way. The validation test announce emails aren't sent by a Fedora
box at all, in fact, that service just runs on one of my personal
systems, the same system that hosts www.happyassassin.net ; the
relvalconsumer code similarly just sends out a mail using smtplib,
which gets delivered via my own mail server.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey