Re: Non-image blocker process change proposal

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 04:42 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I'd like to return to the high-level overview for this topic and discuss the
> > changes we plan to do in our SOPs.
> Since there was not much feedback, we agreed on a QA meeting that
> I'll just go ahead and draft all related SOP changes. Here we go:
>
> 1. SOP blocker bug process:
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AKparal%2FDraft%3AS
> OP_blocker_bug_process&diff=436236&oldid=435641
>
> I've clarified that we should not close any blocker bug until the fix
> is pushed to a stable repo *and* also part of a TC/RC (if
> appropriate). If this is kept, it means we can easily look at the
> list of blockers and decide whether any type of blocker is still
> blocking us (some blocker bugs open) or not (all blocker bugs
> closed). This will be important in other SOPs.

Yeah, this looks fine. The current text wasn't even really considering
the case of 'pushed stable but not included in a compose' as things
usually happen the other way around (and we specifically had cases
where fixes got included in a compose but not pushed stable, the bug
was closed, and we never remembered to push the fix to stable).

> Then I added the process of tracking AcceptedPreviousRelease fixes
> and verifying that the related updates repo metalink is in shape.

This generally looks fine, my only concern is that it's extremely
specific stuff that might go stale quite easily. But since it's not at
all an 'obvious' process, explaining it in detail is important.

It would be nice of course if there was a tool for doing this, then the
text could be reduced to 'run the magic tool and make sure it says OK'.

> This document shares many templates with
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_freeze_exception_bug_process ,
> but I do not intend to modify that one, so I might need you help,
> Adam, to modify the templates in such a way we adjust only one of the
> documents.

This shouldn't really be too difficult. The text in question is all a
part of a single template, I believe:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Blocker_freeze_exception_tracking

the first change applies equally to FE bugs, so there's no problem
there, just apply the change straight to the template.

The second chunk is entirely inapplicable to the FE process as the
concept of "non-media freeze exceptions" makes no sense and thus is not
a thing; this actually makes things simple, because it means you can
just dump that text straight into
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_blocker_bug_process right after
the text "{{Blocker_freeze_exception_tracking|type=blocker}}". You'll
notice that I added the previous chunks about non-media blockers
directly to the blocker SOP page too, for the same reason: they're
completely inapplicable to the FE process and always will be, so it
doesn't make any sense to put them in the shared templates and
conditionalize them not to appear for the blocker page, it's simpler to
just put them straight into the blocker page.

> 2. Go No Go Meeting
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AKparal%2FDraft%3AG
> o_No_Go_Meeting&diff=436242&oldid=435628
>
> I wanted to avoid enumerating different types of blockers and their
> conditions here, so I use the previously described fact that any open
> blocker bugs should mean No Go, otherwise it means Go. But since
> people are not machines and mistakes will happen, I used "open or
> otherwise unaddressed accepted blocker bugs" to cover the case where
> we closed some bug sooner than it should have been, and it's still
> not addressed.

IIRC the text in fact uses "unaddressed" specifically *instead* of
saying "open", as a slight fudge for cases where a bug might still be
open but is in fact fully 'addressed'. We *are* reducing the likelihood
of that scenario with this change (i.e. we can't say "go" if a fix is
in the compose but not yet pushed stable any more), but I'm not 100%
sure we've removed any possibility of a bug being in this state
somehow. So I'm not 100% against this change but a bit worried by it.

> I also switched GOLD to GO, which seems to be an oversight from the
> past.

It's not, exactly. The two terms sort of coexist, it wasn't just that
we switched from saying "gold" to saying "go" at some point.
Conceptually it's the *release candidate* specifically that gets
declared "gold", while the *release process* is "go" (or we are "go for
release") if the candidate is declared "gold". I think we could at
least *conceptually* declare a release candidate "GOLD" but not be "go"
for release. It's kinda unnecessary to have both concepts, but the text
reads slightly awkwardly if you simply do s/GOLD/GO/g/ as you did,
because we don't really "declare the release "GO"", that's a somewhat
odd phrasing.

I don't really mind if we want to rephrase this a bit to drop the
'gold' concept - we barely use it anywhere else but on this page - but
it feels like it should be a separate change, not part of this
revision, and it should be slightly more than just a search-n-replace
so the text doesn't read weird :)

> Do the changes look OK to you?

Aside from the above notes, yup! Thanks for working on this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey