Re: criterion proposal: upgrading across 2 releases

On Thu, 2015-12-17 at 05:16 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > We have +1 from QA, +1 from dnf-plugin-system-upgrade maintainer, and +1 from
> > gnome-software maintainers (at least that's how I chose to interpret it).
> > There were not many responses from general audience (I hoped for some
> > package maintainers feedback). From my POV, we should just do it, or have it
> > blessed by FESCo if we want to be extra safe and correct. I would do the
> > former.
>
> I forgot two things. There's this quote from Kalev that's worth mentioning:
>
> > With my packager hat on, it would be great if we could get this in the
> > packaging guidelines as well, so that there's a canonical source that
> > says that obsoletes/conflicts etc must be preserved to support upgrades
> > across 2 releases. And also maybe make some noise in devel-announce and
> > in the fedora magazine so that packagers are aware that this is
> > something everybody needs to support.
>
> What do you think about pushing this into packaging guidelines?
>
> Second, I'd like to highlight that gnome-software is not going to use
> dnf-plugin-system-upgrade, but libhif instead. So we will need to
> test both approaches (that's not specific to skip-release upgrades,
> but the combinations multiply). So this is going to need more
> resources in OpenQA, and possibly some more human resources when
> debugging issues. I'm not too happy about it, after all the effort we
> put into dnf-plugin-system-upgrade. Still, I think that supporting
> skip-release upgrades doesn't add that much overhead, and it's worth
> it).

I suppose what we could do is test upgrades of some package sets with
DNF and upgrades of others with gnome-software - I guess minimal and
maybe Server with DNF, Workstation with gnome-software.

Adding that text to the packaging guidelines seems like a sensible
idea, yep. You'd have to propose it in an FPC ticket, that's the
procedure for packaging guideline changes IIRC.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey