Re: Alpha Criterion Discussion: Desktop Backgrounds

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 13:42 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 10:22:56AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > What I *can't* find is any reference for the justification usually
> > cited for the criterion. Several times we mention that there was an
> > actual case where people downloaded an Alpha or Beta then got
> > confused
> > because the background was the same as the previous stable release,
> > but
> > I've been searching for 15 mins and can't find it. This is probably
> > just because it's a difficult thing to search for, though.
> >
> > It's worth noting that we used to use considerably more 'striking'
> > desktop backgrounds than we currently do; the last few releases
> > have
> > all been fairly subtle variations on the theme of 'abstract shapes
> > in
> > Fedora blue', really.
>
> Here's a thought: maybe the Fedora background logo GNOME Shell plugin
> could detect if running on an Alpha/Beta release (or on Rawhide) and
> change appropriately?

That's certainly what I thought would help with the whole backgrounds
thing, yes - making it *more* complex and tied to advanced desktop
-specific functionality.

(you may wish to apply your sarcasm detector to the above sentence :>)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey