Re: Again? The password

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:03:33 -0400
Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 02:49:09PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>

> > Well, sure, thats the case in any open source project.
> > You as a user of that project are welcome to try and convince the
> > people doing work to change things to what you desire. If you fail
> > to do this, then it will not get done. After a decision has been
> > made to you suppose more and more queries to change the decision
> > will go well?
> >

> Well, though I feel like a troll for being the one to raise this--and
> it's also causing heated discussion on the CentOS list, that's the
> point. Maybe, if they realize how many people it annoys, they'll drop
> it.

Perhaps. But it's a far cry from: "Here's a poll we did that asked X
and Y% of people said they didn't like it" vs "Die developer! I hate
you"

> Anyway, while an 8 character lowercase letter number combo was
> considered too weak, sizematters was considered sufficient.

I'm not sure I follow this?

> I think, that like many other decisions disliked by the more
> experienced, they're going to wind up doing it, and once again, a few
> people will, when it goes into RHEL, be annoyed enough to leave, but
> not enough to really affect their business--who wants to change the
> O/S on 100, or even 5, servers?

Well, if we are still talking about anaconda initial password behavior,
it only affects people installing from the gui, not kickstart users.
Also, there's a way to customize it (for both), and also you can change
it to whatever you like after you install. I'm not sure this was
"disliked by the more experienced".

> I think that closing the two bug reports immediately was somewhat
> premature.
>

> > > Again, the issue was never "how fast are we getting a policy?".
> > > The issue was always "what policy are we getting?".
> > >

> Or perhaps, why are we suddenly instituting this policy?

Please be carefull of your quoting. I didn't say those things. ;)

> I believe that I used the analogy last time they tried, of the TSA.
> It gives some appearance of security, does almost no good, and serves
> to annoy the vast majority.

I don't see the similarity here, but ok.

Anyhow, I likely will stop replying to this thread unless theres
specific things I can answer. I have tons to do. ;)

kevin