Re: Again? The password

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:39:55 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The above is stuff thats all being worked on, yelling at anyone is
> > unlikely to change the speed at which it gets done.
>
> What does "worked on" mean?

I have been talking with pam, libpwquality, anaconda,
gnome-initial-setup and passwd maintainers to come up with a technical
way to implement a default policy. As well as a way to override it for
local users or products that wish a different policy.

I have been spending a bunch of time exchanging emails, looking at
libpwquality code and working out something everyone can implement.

> It seem to me that that is precisely the issue.
> It could mean fixing the problem.
> It could mean setting it in stone.
>
> My expectation, and I think that of others,
> is that for anaconda, it will be set in stone.

What does 'set in stone mean'? The current behavior?
No. The proposed policy (which I just submitted to fesco for approval)
wouldn't be the same as the current anaconda behavior.

...snip...

> How is a maintainer or a standard writer suppose to distinguish
> patience-based silence from approval-based silence?

When a maintainer or standard writer says: "We are working on this,
please hang on" and you wait that is patience. When you say "NO! I am
filing bugs and complaining instead" thats anoying.

> Is there currently any reason to suppose that from now on
> anaconda will not enforce its notion of strong passwords?

Yes, because there will be a distro wide policy that anaconda (and
other local password changing things) will follow.

> In case the current work includes the setting in
> stone of anaconda's demand for "strong" passwords,
> what can or should those who prefer
> encouragement to enforcement do about it?

Well, I would personally say you should wait until there was a proposed
policy to look at. Now there is:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1455#comment:30

Feel free to comment there or in the fesco meeting tomorrow.

If there's a great deal of problem with it we could also push it back
to a discussion on the devel list.

The frustrating thing for me here is that I have been working on this
(as my other piles of tasks permit) for a while now and then people come
along and start yelling that it's not changed yet, and tell me that
they refuse to wait until there's a proposal, they want to complain to
anaconda folks now (who are also waiting until there's a fesco policy).

I appreciate that this is a very hot button issue for some folks, and I
also appreciate that you want a solution 2 weeks ago, but I'm doing the
best I can here to move us all to a nice standard distro policy and we
aren't even at alpha yet.

kevin