Re: Encrypted volume release criteria

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 10:49 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > Honestly, I don't think any of the language you're criticizing is
> > as bad as you make it out to be.
>
> Umm? Except you wrote that you hated it, thought it was silly, and
> badly needing rewriting.

Yes - *the meaning of the criterion*, not the way it expresses what it
means.

> > But as a larger point - the problem with
> > that criterion is not the language, the problem is *the
> > criterion*. We have never actually lived up to it, and no-one
> > really buys into living up to it.
>
> First, never living up to it and not buying into living up to it,
> means there's no actual or potential commitment to that criterion.
> There's no point in rewriting it, just remove it.

You say potato. Rewriting it to mean something else is the same as
removing it and adding a new one, no? It's just two ways to say the
same thing.

> Whatever state Manual Partitioning UI is in at the time I click
> Done, so long as it accepts Done, it should be able to complete an
> installation per that implicit visual contract for an installation.
> It's not at all "gotta do everything" unless the UI claims it can do
> everything, in which case then yes it'd have to actually be able to
> do everything.
>
> This criterion is a UI delimiter, not a functionality mandate.

It amounts to the same thing, because we can't practically just rip
out all the functionality. Fundamentally, we're painted into a corner
where the installer has to contain more functionality than we can
absolutely guarantee will work in all circumstances. Is that ideal?
No. But we can't pretend it isn't true.

There are going to be cases where we get to go/no-go, find there's an
obscure bug in custom part, and want to ship anyway. As long as that's
the case, this criterion as written is just not the right thing and
instead of assisting us in deciding if releases are done (the actual
point of the criteria), it's getting in our way.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey