Re: Encrypted volume release criteria

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 23:15 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Tackling this one separately:
>
> Current Fedora 22 final release criteria of concern and some distain:
>
> "The installer must be able to create and install to any workable
> partition layout using any file system and/or container format
> combination offered in a default installer configuration."
>
> That's a lot of concepts to chew off in a single sentence, I can
> hardly imagine how long that'd take to translate into another
> language. Including English!
>
> - as Fedora ships on official media, the installer supports XYZ
> supported storage volume combinations;
> - only those combinations are in context; not kickstart, not hand
> editing the Python code, etc;
> - if the user can compel the installer UI to create a storage volume
> layout;
> - the installer should create exactly that, and successfully install
> Fedora to it.
>
> Is that a fair derivative restatement of that criterion?
>
> DRAFT: The Fedora supplied installer must successfully complete an
> installation of Fedora to any layout the user creates in Manual
> Partitioning.
>
> That pretty much says any possible combination of create, remove,
> assign, with the installer itself as the guardian of what those
> things can be, that the user can finagle out of the installer, must
> result in a successful installation. Not unreasonable if there
> should be trust in the UI. Either the installation must happen and
> work, or the layout must not be permitted. *shrug*
>
> Could redirect the language it by replacing "must" with "should" to
> make this a matter of honor and pride, rather than some sort of
> weird edict coming at the last minute for final...

Honestly, I don't think any of the language you're criticizing is as
bad as you make it out to be. But as a larger point - the problem with
that criterion is not the language, the problem is *the criterion*. We
have never actually lived up to it, and no-one really buys into living
up to it. We need something narrower, but it's very hard to draft
something specific that genuinely captures *everything* we want to
block on at Final *but no more than that*. Still, that's the problem
that really could do with attention. Re-stating 'it's gotta do
everything' isn't really solving any interesting problems.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey