Re: Adding GNOME ....

Adam Williamson (adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> 1) Workstation is set up rather differently to the other desktop-y
> products/environments. There's rather an overlap between the
> 'workstation-product' group and the 'gnome-desktop' group. I'd sort of
> expect the 'workstation-product-environment' env group would include the
> 'gnome-desktop' group and then another group which pulled in the things
> that we want to add that make up the 'workstation product', perhaps?
> This is how the other desktop small-p products/environments work -
> kde-desktop-environment pulls in @kde-desktop (plus other package
> groups) and @fedora-release-nonproduct , xfce-desktop-environment pulls
> in @xfce-desktop and @fedora-release-nonproduct, etc.

That would be sort of how I'd expect it to work, yes. But do people mixing
and matching desktops post-install want installing 'GNOME' (defined
nebulously here) to workstation-ize their system?

> 2) We just don't have a good story for installing extra desktops
> post-install any more. The only 'desktop' groups visible in 'yum
> grouplist' are the environment groups, but you can't use those because
> of fedora-release package conflicts. You can install the 'XXX-desktop'
> package groups directly, but these aren't visible in yum's list at all
> (I think we stopped making them user-visible when we set up the whole
> 'environment group' thing on the basis people should just install the
> env groups). So you can't install the groups you can see, but you can
> install the groups you can't see...

Yeah, it's somewhat of an issue if you're trying to do that. The reason
the <foo>-desktop groups were hidden as such is because people were using
them to attempt to install the appropriate desktop on bare machines, which
could then end up missing X, fonts, gstreamer plugins, etc. - what you want
in that case is what's defined in the environment groups.

Perhaps something where each product's metadata defines the environment
groups to include the appropriate fedora-release-<foo> package, but the
environment groups in the general case *don't*? Not sure that's possible,
and it might lead to other issues.

Bill