Re: Emacs (was: Some F21 Alpha impressions)

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 21:02:15 +0200
> drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Do you have a screenshot of the wrong looking emacs?
>
> Attached, finally.  Took me a while to get back to a nominally working
> system after the scaling experiment - had to go to backups in the end.
> Whatever gnome-tweak-tool tweaks in that case, it's not a simple
> reversable transformation.

Ugh ... I though it would be easier to direct you to tweak tool but
apparently accessing the setting directly would have been a better
idea.
Sorry for that. All that tweak tool does is to set a value in
gsettings which you can do using::

"gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor <value>" for instance
"gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 1" and go back using
"gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0" or
"gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor"

> Anyway, here's an Emacs window being resized; it thinks it's 39x18,
> but, as can be seen, it's actually a little more than double that in
> both directions.

Oh ok. Well seems like emacs somehow gets this wrong while
gnome-terminal doesn't. The scaling is supposed
to be transparent to applications though so looks like a gtk bug. Can
you file one (upstream if possible) ?

> Setting GDK_SCALE=1 makes Emacs behave rationally, thanks!

OK good to hear. What this does is disabling the scaling for emacs but
leave the rest of the desktop / other applications alone.