Re: Proposing new dual booting release criteria

On 09/10/2014 03:25 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 15:16:18 -0400
Gene Czarcinski wrote:

>Personally, I do not use os-prober and prefer to create
>/etc/grub.d/40_custom files which use configfile to "chain-load" other
>configuration files.
Me too, which is why I really really wish I could tell anaconda
to create the grub2 directory and cfg file, but not try to actually
install grub and screw around with the MBR and such.
As long as my system has more than one disk drive ... I fake it. With /dev/sda the "normal" bios boot drive, I tell anaconda to install grub2 into the MBR of /dev/sdb. I have previously updated /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add a configfile entry for the new system.

BTW, I have proposed to change/replace the os-prober functionality with something that uses configfile to chain load other Fedora installs. Ran the flag up the pole but nobody saluted. Naturally, you need to regular chainload for windows.

I have delved into anaconda code before, maybe I will look at creating a patch have anaconda NOT install grub2 in the mbr. Mmmm ... I wonder if "no mbr" is also appropriate for syslinux/extlinux.

Gene