Re: Is there a reason gnome documents wasn't part of the test day?

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 08:15 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> GNOME Documents is based on a mistaken premise: that users will want
> move stuff into ~/Documents and leave it there unorganized, then
> organize it in GNOME Documents. If you care at all about keeping
> documents stored in a reasonable hierarchy inside ~/Documents, you're
> out of luck.
>
> My workflow:
>
> * Download a PDF.
> * Open Files and copy the PDF from ~/Downloads into ~/Documents or a
> subfolder of ~/Documents. I'm not going to skip this step!
> * Open GNOME Documents and give that PDF a reasonable category,
> because
> everything is completely disorganized in GNOME Documents otherwise. I
> am
> willing to skip this step, by not using GNOME Documents at all.
>
> Even when I do resolve to use GNOME Documents, I give up very quickly
> as
> I'm not up for reorganizing all my documents into reasonable
> categories
> when they are already organized nicely on disk.
>
> This is a shame, since it really is a nice document viewer.
>
> It's also basically useless if you want to store some PDFs outside of
> ~/Documents.

+1. I keep all my documents organised folder wise - in fact, I keep a
private wikindx instance for them ;). The thing is, if I must use
nautilus to access my local files any way, I really don't need documents
at all - evince is awesome enough. (We even have a nautilus search
provider)

We can either use the folder organisation system, or use the new gnome
tools - docs/photos/music. Mixing them up is sorta confusing, and extra
work if the apps don't work properly - like I found out.

In spite of using a folder organisation system, I can see documents
improving my productivity quite a bit: collections like "today", "soon",
save me the trouble of making special folders and moving files around.

At the moment, though, I'm just concerned about making sure stuff works
in the workstation. Once F21 is released, we're going to have a lights
all over the products. Having them working satisfactorily would be
nice ;)
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,