Re: Very rough storage validation matrix draft

> Hi, folks. So, our current set of storage validation tests is just a
> grab-bag of stuff we've held over from oldui, added and patched
> piecemeal; it's not very coherent or consistent and it doesn't come
> close to exercising all of the storage stuff in the installer. We wind
> up sort of inventing test plans particularly for custom partitioning as
> we go along, with the consequence that we're not sure what we're going
> to test, what's really important to test when, etc etc.
>
> I've made a few abortive tries at re-doing the storage tests and
> basically given up because it's just a hideous thing to try and cover,
> but I thought while I'm still on a momentum roll from F20 and remember
> some of the issues that came up during F20 validation, I'd take another
> cut at it.
>
> Here's what I came up with:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix

So I think now's a good time to get back to this: we now know, I think,
that for F21 we will have no filesystem type choice on the guided path.
We do have two different defaults for the Workstation and Server
products, though.

I need to read back over all the feedback this got when I first put it
up, but for now, I looked back over the draft, and I think one small
change is all it actually needs, but the implications change:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix

what I've changed is quite simple. In the Guided Installation matrix,
the result columns used to be for different filesystems. Now they're for
different platforms - x86 BIOS, x86 UEFI, and ARM. The fact that we
don't have to worry about the filesystem choice makes this rather nicer,
I think.

We would probably want to duplicate the guided matrices for Workstation
and Server.

I think it might be viable right now to replace the current storage
tests in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_20_Install_Results_Template
with the simpler ones from the draft (for F21) - we'd have to think
about the precise layout, but I think it possibly works as a basic idea.

What does everyone think? Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey