Re: Very rough storage validation matrix draft

On 03/13/2014 07:50 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
Hi, folks. So, our current set of storage validation tests is just a
grab-bag of stuff we've held over from oldui, added and patched
piecemeal; it's not very coherent or consistent and it doesn't come
close to exercising all of the storage stuff in the installer. We wind
up sort of inventing test plans particularly for custom partitioning as
we go along, with the consequence that we're not sure what we're going
to test, what's really important to test when, etc etc.

I've made a few abortive tries at re-doing the storage tests and
basically given up because it's just a hideous thing to try and cover,
but I thought while I'm still on a momentum roll from F20 and remember
some of the issues that came up during F20 validation, I'd take another
cut at it.

Here's what I came up with:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix
So I think now's a good time to get back to this: we now know, I think,
that for F21 we will have no filesystem type choice on the guided path.
We do have two different defaults for the Workstation and Server
products, though.

I need to read back over all the feedback this got when I first put it
up, but for now, I looked back over the draft, and I think one small
change is all it actually needs, but the implications change:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_storage_matrix

what I've changed is quite simple. In the Guided Installation matrix,
the result columns used to be for different filesystems. Now they're for
different platforms - x86 BIOS, x86 UEFI, and ARM. The fact that we
don't have to worry about the filesystem choice makes this rather nicer,
I think.

We would probably want to duplicate the guided matrices for Workstation
and Server.

I think it might be viable right now to replace the current storage
tests in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_20_Install_Results_Template
with the simpler ones from the draft (for F21) - we'd have to think
about the precise layout, but I think it possibly works as a basic idea.

What does everyone think? Thanks!
Will the non-blocking SoaS test cases be included? [1]
[1]http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Fedora/Sugar_test_cases

Tom Gilliard
satellit on IRC