Re: Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Fri, 20 Dec 2013 05:00:24 -0500

>The bandwidth problem should be solved by a simple program:
>a. you run it on computer A (lacking bandwidth) - it gathers the list of installed packages and exports a file
>b. then you run it on computer B (good bandwidth) - feed it the file and tell what programs you want to download, it fetches all the RPMs and makes a repository
>c. then you bring the files back to computer A, and either using that
>file again or GNOME Software it mounts the repository and allows you to
>install the programs available

Simple program, yes, but operationally complicated.  Hope you get all the
programs you want the first time, else repeat until you get it right.

Were I to perform Fedora installations without Internet connectivity, I
should be tempted instead to copy the entire Fedora repositories to a
portable disk.  That way, anything I did not know I wanted would be right
at hand.  Job done in one visit.  Other people could use my disk to
install whatever package sets they wanted.

With a world of use cases, no scheme will be best for everyone.  I like
your idea of a live system with optional repository, but where is
Anaconda in this picture?  Must everyone who wants a configuration not
possible with live install use netinstall?

Will F21 be the first Fedora release with three versions (workstation,
server, cloud)?  Will each project make independent decisions about
distribution strategy?

>Since there's nothing else than a yum repo, it's trivial to check for
>correctness.

I beg to differ.  Instead of a "frozen" image, with direct management to
limit changes, you suggest a plethora of collections that are likely to
span a larger part of Fedora's total package set.  If you mean to prepare
specialized repositories only from packages in the DVD collection, there
is no advantage: just keep the DVD.

I feel there are many chapters yet to be written in the story of Fedora's
distribution mechanism.  Partition of the problem may be appropriate.
Instead of a search for a globl distribution scheme, direct each project
and spin to make choices appropriate for their target audience.  The
cloud project will see network installation the only thing they want,
while SoaS delivers a complete system image with no need for a network.

Interesting times ahead.