Re: What does one do about a package maintainer with an attitude problem?

On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 15:05 -0400, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> It seems to me like you don't know how to report bugs. Bug reports
> should include STEPS TO REPRODUCE, ALWAYS, it is not "OPTIONAL".

[voice=droll]

So is is your stated position that intermittent or hard to reproduce
bugs are 'someone else's problem' or are you asserting they they don't
exist?  Either it sounds kinda retarded, sir.[1]

If the reporter knows how to reproduce a bug, of course they should
report that.  But an unexplainable failure is still a failure, and a
report at least begins a conversation and provides an entry point for
future reporters to search on and add to, eventually the hope being to
collect enough clues to point to a solution.

In a perfect world every bug report would include a complete breakdown
of the problem.  Or heck, if we are wishing we could just assume every
user is a skilled developer who can code in every language, understand
the OO.o, Firefox codebases AND troubleshoot ACPI bugs in the kernel and
every bug report could be expected to include a patch as well.  Or why
not assume that every user is a registered Fedora dev and can just
contribute a fixed package and we could eliminate bugzilla entirely.  In
reality even a bad bug report is better than silence, at least a bad
report indicates that there is likely to be a real problem, even if it
can't be solved yet.

[1] Those not following recent U.S. news probably won't get the cultural
reference.  It's just a bad joke, not a flame.  (A pot, kettle sorta
gag.)