Re: What does one do about a package maintainer with an attitude problem?

On 07/22/2013 12:58 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
Look them up in the account system.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/group/members/packager and
filter it or go through the list.
Thank you.
JK> I looked at the Wiki page for the CWG, and it doesn't have any
JK> enforcement powers.

Why are you concerned with enforcement powers?  What is anyone going to
do to a volunteer in any case?  Go to their house and threaten them with
violence unless they maintain their packages in the way you want them
maintained?
I am concerned about enforcement powers exactly because I do not think this is a question of packages being maintained "the way [I] want them maintained," but rather a question of packages being maintained in a way that is of net benefit to the Fedora project and community.

I believe that the maintainer in question is, objectively, failing to follow the Fedora package maintenance guidelines, and in so doing damaging the project and community. However, I acknowledge that this is a subjective evaluation of the objective question about whether the guidelines are being followed, and that pursuing my beliefs further in the absence of someone who is able to make definitive, authoritative determinations about them would do even more damage to the project and community than I believe is already being done.

I've been around the blocks a few times. I know how this stuff works. If it's just going to come down to me disagreeing with the package maintainer about how he's doing his job, with no one willing or able to step in and put a stop to it, then I'm just going to drop it.
The only thing anyone can really do, besides communicate,
There is a difference between "communication" that comes from one of the bug reporters this maintainer is shafting and from a disinterested third party. There is a difference between a bug reporter who has no formal position within the organization and someone who does. Perhaps the maintainer's sponsor will be able to talk some sense into him, and I will pursue that avenue. But the CWG, given that it is self-admittedly not willing to make "judgments" about the issues brought before it, is not going to be able to provide the kind of communication that is likely to improve the situation.
is to remove
the packager's privileges.  Are you willing to maintain those packages
yourself?  (And if so, have you signed up to comaintain them?)  Is
having them removed from the distribution a better outcome than the
status quo?
This is a false dichotomy. There is a third choice, which is trying to find some avenue that has the potential to convince the maintainer to do things differently, but settling for him continuing to maintain them the way he is now if that fails. And there is a fourth choice, which is seeing if there is anyone else willing to maintain the packages, but again, settling for the current maintainer continuing if no one else steps forward.

Frankly, the particular package that I've been attempting to report bugs about (and, by the way, while this thread was ongoing, the maintainer closed yet another bug report of main with INSUFFICIENT_DATA without comment, despite the fact that I described exactly how to reproduce the issue) is nearly unusable due to several serious bugs (one of which, e.g., causes /var/log/messages to be spammed with 20MB of log entries per hour) that the maintainer hasn't shown any indication of intending to do anything about.

  jik