Re: What does one do about a package maintainer with an attitude problem?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Jonathan Kamens <jik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What can be done about a package maintainer with, for lack of a better term, an ongoing attitude problem?

Here are some examples of interactions I've had with this individual. I am trying to be circumspect because I'm not trying to engage in public shaming, but I really need some advice...

The maintainer closed an abrt crash report about a package with INSUFFICIENT_DATA. He didn't actually ask the reporter of the issue for any additional information before closing it. I asked why in the bug, and he responded, "No steps to reproduce = closed bug. Why should we have to ask as it takes valuable time?" Leaving aside for the fact that I think he's wrong about that to begin with, I posted my own reproduction steps in the bug and he didn't reopen it.

I filed another defect about the same package because one of its dialogs provided several pieces of incorrect information about a particular configuration setting and how to change it. He responded, "Oh, that screen is wrong, we don't actually use that configuration setting. Here's the setting you actually need to use, and how to examine or change it from the command line." Then he closed the defect with NOTABUG. I responded and pointed out that surely it was a bug that the dialog gave incorrect information about both the value of the setting and how to change it, and surely it was a but that the setting could only be changed from the command line. He ignored my comment and did not reopen the bug.

I filed another defect about the same page explaining exactly what I had done to cause the issue I was reporting. He closed the bug with INSUFFICIENT_DATA, without any comment about what exactly he found lacking in my reproduction steps. I didn't try to argue with him, because, well, I'd seen by this point how much good that would do.

I am reluctant to criticize the volunteers without whom Fedora would not exist, but at the same time, I think this package maintainer is doing a poor job of maintaining this package (and, I assume, the others he maintains), doing a poor job of providing feedback about issues like this to the upstream maintainers, and scaring away end users from filing defects about real issues.

Is there anything that can be done?

I'd suggest either the person's sponsor or https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_working_group

-J

Thanks,