Re: Criterion proposal: firstboot / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup, user creationa

On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 23:02 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 08:07 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 07:32 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> >> The criteria should *only* be focusing on the common denominator in both
> >> these tools the rest should be left out from the criteria.
> >>
> >> No hidden crap or meaning anywhere.
> > Sorry, but I can't parse this at all. The proposal focuses on exactly
> > one function: creating users. I don't know what you mean by 'hidden crap
> > or meaning'.
>
> To quote yourself
>
> "and add a 'hidden' paragraph which reads:"

It's just to clarify the meaning. It doesn't change it. Part of the
point of the hidden paragraphs is to provide a more thorough explanation
of the meaning of each criterion.

> Arguable at alpha stage it should be sufficient just to ensure that the
> installer user creation works but initial setup utility be working in
> beta ( not both ).

I wrote at the bottom:

"I considered a different approach where we only require one or
the other to work, or even just require user creation at anaconda to
work and not care about initial-setup till beta, but on reflection those
don't seem like good choices."

As I said, I don't like those options myself. If we just require one to
work, it's a bit confusing if we ship with one broken for F19, then the
other broken for F20, then the other broken for F21...you're gonna be
stuck trying to remember how user creation works each time. And it's not
like it should be difficult just to ensure the damn tools work as
intended.

> Personally I have never understod why we have two tools doing
> essentially the same job as in Anaconda and firstboot/initial setup and
> users seem to be getting the same

I don't know why you write 'never', when you couldn't create users
interactively in anaconda until F19. It's not possible in F18 or any
earlier release, you can only do it via kickstart.

The intent for F19 is that initial-setup will only prompt for stuff that
you didn't do in the installer. If you set a root password and created a
user in anaconda, initial-setup won't prompt you for those. I don't know
what gnome-initial-setup's plans are.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey