Many problems with Fedora 17

Hi there,

I am finding a lot of problems with Fedora 17. I have installed the
DVD distribution
and after a few days I got a kernel panic after an upgrade.
Fortunately I could re-upgrade
the kernel to a newer version. However many system commands do not obey me.
For instance, it does not allow me wallpaper, it is now complaining
about glibc, why?
Everything is fresh install. I have tried also yum reinstall glibc
unsuccessfully.
It does not let me open System Settings now. All very unstable.
Also, default GNOME is horrible. I have successfully changed it back to Gnome 2.
However the system seems to be still very unstable. I used RH9 in the
past which was wonderful, very
stable. Then RHELv5 very stable too but RH no longer allows academic
version. So I stuck with
Fedora14 which worked fine too. Now I am having all these problems
with v17. I do consider
myself an expert with Linux and other Unix OS's.
Should I wait for the new release 18? Would anyone please advise?
Thanks
Luiz