Re: Yum update chnages BIOS setting

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 22:23 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 06:23:20PM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> >
> > [root@omen grub2]# yum install     grub2-mkdevicemap
>
> Why do you think that grub2-mkdevicemap utility will be in a package
> called 'grub2-mkdevicemap'?  That is what you are asking for.
>
> OTOH, indeed, later versions of grub2 lost that binary.  Documentation
> says that you may no longer need device.map (unless, like they say
> there, you would need it and then you would have to write it yourself -
> I guess - keeping in mind that disk identifiers like /dev/sda are not
> promissed to be stable for a very long time).  What anaconda may be
> doing with that I have not the slightest idea.

On a fresh install anaconda pretty much just does
'grub2-install /dev/sdX', where sdX is the bootloader target disk, which
you can choose at the disk picker screen by clicking the blue hyperlink
thing which says 'full disk summary and options' or something like that.
If you only pick a single install target disk, the bootloader will of
course be installed to that disk.

To the best of my knowledge, after system install, nothing
non-interactive ever intentionally touches the system firmware or MBR in
any way. grub2 package updates do not rewrite the MBR, they only touch
the grub2 config file. I do not believe we ever in any way at any point
intentionally touch the system firmware during install or at any other
time. I'm not sure it's even _possible_ for an OS to poke the BIOS boot
order: as I understand it the relationship runs in precisely the
opposite direction (BIOS boot ordering can affect drive enumeration at
the OS level; on many BIOSes, the first disk in the boot order will be
sda, so if you change the boot order, you change what disk the kernel
decides will be sda).

The above is why I'm so sceptical that this bug report is entirely
accurate: we just don't _do_ that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey