Re: Yum update chnages BIOS setting

On 11/23/2012 12:32 PM, Sergio wrote:

--- Em sex, 23/11/12, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:

De: Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf@xxxxxxxx>
Assunto: Yum update chnages BIOS setting
Para: "Fedora" <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Data: Sexta-feira, 23 de Novembro de 2012, 6:50
I have done a few kernel updates of
Fedora 18 without
major incident until today.

This time the BIOS boot order was changed to point to sda
instead of sdf where Fedora 18 resides.  I noticed when
discovered that the reboot after yum update dumped me
into Fedora 16, which couldn't talk to the internet any
more.

Once I grokked it I changed the BIOS boot drive order back
to starting with sdf and things went back to normal.

Maybe it's the UEFI thing? Normal BIOS isn't touched by OS updates.

Hmm, for quite a while (starting around ca. F15), I have been experiencing boot issues with Fedora, the only explanation I have for, is something in Fedora could be modifying the BIOS or Fedora not being able to interact correctly with the BIOS [1].

Unfortunately, so far I haven't managed to identify the cause of these issues :(

Ralf

[1] E.g. today, an update of a Fedora 17 installation on an external USB HD-disk seems to have shredded a partition on the main (internal) disk.

My wild guess would be BIOS-drive order has changed between installation time and run-time. As things appears to me, something (grub2?) has written to the wrong disk (hdaX instead of hdbX).