Re: Yum update chnages BIOS setting

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:06:32AM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> >is it possible the BIOS is changing the drive order for some reason and
> >you're not noticing?
> I have Fedora 18 on sdf and Fedora 16 on sda.
> Which version gets booted is a function of the boot order.
> This allows me to fall back to Fedora 16 if needed.
>
> If the BIOS boot order changes I get a different Version
> of Linux when I boot.

BIOS order does not change by itself but how devices are enumerated
by a Linux kernel may change depending on what and from where you
booted.  Check if /boot/grub2/device.map from both installations
are the same.  Most likely they are not.

> Anyway, why would update change the boot order to a drive
> it *<HAS NOT>* written its bootloader to?

With a "wrong" device.map I would expect that you are not writing a
bootloader where you think you are writing but a boot order did not
really change.  That would explain also crashes you previously mentioned
with XP.  With multiple boot disks I would be very reluctant to allow
any "automatic" tools to do boot sector rewrites.

   Michal