Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

On 11/06/2012 05:42 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>Good question. I guess the answer is "practicality", dual boot with
>Windows is the most common use case. We can't really extend this
>criterion to_any_  operating system, we don't really want to block
>Fedora because it can't properly dual-boot with Haiku or whatever, do
>we?
Right. It's a pragmatic consideration. We can't support all dual boot
cases, and dual booting alongside Windows is the most common and
important to support (as it's what you need to do to attract new
converts).

>OTOH I find somewhat inconsistent that our release criterion is
>related to a closed-source proprietary product, while Fedora
>philosophy, as currently interpreted/written, refuses these links [1].
I don't think there's a conflict at all. All distros work hard to dual
boot with Windows successfully because that's how you get people to try
Linux: i.e., it's actually a key thing to have *in order to driver our
philosophy*.

That argument does not hold water and has not for sometime now...

Remind me again what the purpose of live cd/dvd/usb is ;)

JBG