Re: How to interpret F18 Blocker criterion

> On 11/06/2012 02:30 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
> >> The F18 Blocker criteria contain:
> >>
> >> The installer must be able to install into free space alongside an
> >> existing clean single-partition Windows installation and either
> >> install
> >> a bootloader which can boot into the Windows installation, or
> >> leave
> >> the
> >> Windows bootloader untouched and working
> >>
> >> What must be understood under "single-partition"?
> >>
> >> Alexander
> > The intended purpose is to say this should be a default Windows
> > installation, which usually consist of a single NTFS partition.
> >
> > But we should probably improve the description, because recent
> > Windows (at least Win 7) create two partitions - 100MB "System
> > Reserved" and then the rest of the space for "disk C".
>
> What's the reason for this criteria and why is it only limited to
> windows as opposed to OS-X and other OS in general?

Good question. I guess the answer is "practicality", dual boot with Windows is the most common use case. We can't really extend this criterion to _any_ operating system, we don't really want to block Fedora because it can't properly dual-boot with Haiku or whatever, do we?

OTOH I find somewhat inconsistent that our release criterion is related to a closed-source proprietary product, while Fedora philosophy, as currently interpreted/written, refuses these links [1]. The current approach is that we don't care about problems with VirtualBox, with nvidia drivers, with just about _anything_ that is not included in Fedora. This test case doesn't really resonate with it. Personally I find the philosophy in a direct clash with practicality and too extreme.

[1]  The Fedora Project is not interested in having its distribution be a platform for proprietary or patent encumbered components. While we do not purposely make installation of such components more difficult, we also do not allow our schedule or processes to be driven by theirs.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives