Re: F18 TC3 No Logout Option?: Channeling Wonko the Sane

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:50 -0500, John Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 15:03 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > >
> > I have to say I agree with you. They create too much complexity (which will be broken by definition) to create a tiny simplification. This is an example of overkill.
>
> No.  This BS has gone on long enough.  Fedora is pretty much the only
> major distro shipping GNOME3 anyway so at some point handwaving about
> 'upstream' doesn't cut it.  When does Fedora say that enough is enough?
>
> Besides, I haven't bothered to check but who wants to take bets that the
> genius who submitted this broken idea has @redhat.com on the end of
> their email address?  This blame reflection game was old a year ago.
> Most of these guys are all in the same cubefarm but Fedora users aren't
> allowed to object because gnome is 'upstream' and RH doesn't listen,
> GNOME has an explicit policy to ignore end users so who the heck is
> responsible?
>
> So if the only choice for Fedora is to take GNOME from upstream 'as-is'
> or to not take it then so be it.  Personally I think the only reaction
> left is a general call to simply remove GNOME as the default desktop
> environment in Fedora and thus to reject any changes from the GNOMEs
> that impact the new default.  Can I get a second?

This is still the QA list, and that's not how we change major features
in Fedora. The people designing GNOME 3 are on the Fedora desktop@ list,
or the upstream channels/lists. The fact that some of them work for Red
Hat seems to be bandied about a lot, but I'm damned if I can figure out
why it seems to be assumed to be so relevant. Red Hat pays a lot of
F/OSS developers. That doesn't mean that any other RH employee can order
them what to do with those F/OSS projects. That's not the F/OSS model
and it's not how RH operates. RH hires F/OSS developers who have
demonstrated their value to the F/OSS development process and gives them
a paycheck to keep working on those projects. It does not direct
development of those projects. This isn't some PR smokescreen or
misdirection ploy, it's the unvarnished truth.

I can't go tell Matthias and Owen and Ray and etc etc how to build
GNOME. My manager can't tell their manager to tell them how to build
GNOME. GNOME is an independent project with its own processes, in which
some Red Hat staff take part. That doesn't mean Red Hat can dictate how
that project works. If it became clear that Red Hat was dictating GNOME
design decisions, then Red Hat staff would get their GNOME commit
privileges cut off pretty rapidly, I suspect. That's really not how
things work.

If you want to get changes done to how GNOME is designed, you need to
engage with GNOME. Whether the people you have to engage with happen to
have @redhat.com in their email addresses or not is not terribly
relevant: they are members of the GNOME project.

If you want to propose a change in Fedora's default desktop, then you
probably want to follow the feature process -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy - and propose it as a
feature for Fedora 19. Then you can sit back and watch the flamewar.
It'll be purty.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey