Re: [criteria update] Package set

On 2012-09-06 0:59, Kamil Paral wrote:
Hi,

Because of changes in package set selection in new anaconda, I
propose
to amend the alpha criterion:

'The installer must be able to complete package installation with the
default package set for each supported installation method'

to:

'The installer must be able to install the default desktop for each
supported installation method (DVD, live, netinst, PXE, ...)'

I chose default desktop because in f17 every installation method had
it
as default package set.

It makes sense to adjust it, because there is no longer "default"
package set. Also big thanks for clarifying what "installation
methods" mean.

Do we know if it's *intended* that there's no default package set, or is that a bug? It only makes sense to amend the criterion if the lack of a default package set is actually intended. Also, if it's intended that there's no default package set, can there be said to be a 'default desktop' any more? GNOME is only the 'default' in that it's the desktop in the 'default package set'. If there's no 'default package set', GNOME becomes simply a choice on the package set selection screen, co-equal with all the others. I can't see how it can be called 'the default'.

I wonder - we require only the default desktop (GNOME) to be
installable, but we have further Alpha criteria for other
release-blocking desktops (KDE)? That's funny :-)

Maybe we should say:
'The installer must be able to (successfully) install *all
release-blocking desktops* for each supported installation method
(DVD, live, netinst, PXE, ...)'

I think that's better, if we assume the new behaviour in anaconda is actually intended.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey