Re: Fwd: Re: Helping to improve advertising of test days and other things

On 2012-08-23 2:28, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
I think there is a more fundamental issue.

From casual observation, it seems that more people like announcing
they are a new Bugzapper than being a new general QA volunteer for
Fedora.

Besides the cool name, what causes this?

Your thoughts are interesting, but I think the answer is in fact simpler than that: the instructions for becoming a proven tester or a Bugzapper ask you to send a self-introduction mail, but there are no instructions for becoming a 'general QA volunteer' and no guide that tells you to send a self-introduction mail. Hence we see self-introduction mails for proventesters and Bugzappers but not for 'QA'. It's really that straightforward :)

Since proventesters is officially dormant and Bugzappers is...unofficially dormant at present, I and the others who handle those two 'applications processes' have been trying to point volunteers to the other QA tasks when we respond to them. I think this is working out okay, though it sure would be nice if someone wanted to step up and try to bring Bugzappers out of hibernation once again.

While I am not a Bugzapper, it would seem to me that QA runs on strict
cycles.  A new build comes out, and everyone is asked to test it in a
timely manner.  A test day for X is held on day Y and if you are not
available on Y (give or take a day) you may feel that no one will look
at your results.

That's a reasonable description of the updates-testing process and the test day process, though I think it's a fairly unavoidable aspect of each process. Update testing and release validation do *need* to be done in a timely manner; neither devs nor users want to wait three months to ship an update, and our release cycle is extremely tight and flat requires us to do validation testing extremely quickly. As for test days, one the main points of the 'Test Day' concept is the real-time nature of it: the benefits of getting devs and testers together at one time in one 'place' (IRC channel) to work through issues quickly. There have been some detailed proposals for Test Day-ish 'events' over a longer time period, and that might certainly be something someone might be interested in doing, but it has clear trade-offs compared to the single-day, real-time concept.

Aside from that, we do have other processes that come under the 'QA' banner and which aren't really so time-critical: see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join . 'Reporting bugs in Fedora releases', 'Testing Fedora pre-releases', 'Testing Rawhide', 'Creating test cases' and 'Developing tools' would all come under that header, I'd say.

Meanwhile a Bugzapper sounds like they do not have to install anything
if they do not want to verify a fix.  They can go through Bugzilla at
their leisure.  Their changes appear in realtime and they can
immediately feel they made a difference.

But given I primarily work on a downstream Fedora Remix, there is only
so much time I have to do upstream QA.  It takes time to research
each update fedora-easy-karma says needs feedback so I can determine
if I can personally test the fix(es).  And there is no guarantee that
what I do makes a difference; many updates get pushed because someone
says "works for me" or the maintainer pushes on a timeout.

Bodhi karma as currently implemented really kind of sucks, and we have big plans to improve it with Bodhi 2.0, which we've discussed several times already so I won't repeat them - but they certainly address a lot of the issues above.

Most times when I file ABRT reports it seems like I hit duplicates.

This is still useful, actually - it helps to know if multiple people are hitting a crash, and sometimes later reports have info that was missing from the original report. So just because it's a dupe doesn't make it useless.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey