Re: Fwd: Re: Helping to improve advertising of test days and other things

I think there is a more fundamental issue.

From casual observation, it seems that more people like announcing they are a new Bugzapper than being a new general QA volunteer for Fedora.

Besides the cool name, what causes this?

While I am not a Bugzapper, it would seem to me that QA runs on strict cycles.  A new build comes out, and everyone is asked to test it in a timely manner.  A test day for X is held on day Y and if you are not available on Y (give or take a day) you may feel that no one will look at your results.

Meanwhile a Bugzapper sounds like they do not have to install anything if they do not want to verify a fix.  They can go through Bugzilla at their leisure.  Their changes appear in realtime and they can immediately feel they made a difference.

But given I primarily work on a downstream Fedora Remix, there is only so much time I have to do upstream QA.  It takes time to research each update fedora-easy-karma says needs feedback so I can determine if I can personally test the fix(es).  And there is no guarantee that what I do makes a difference; many updates get pushed because someone says "works for me" or the maintainer pushes on a timeout.

Most times when I file ABRT reports it seems like I hit duplicates.

So how can we get people involved with Fedora QA and make them feel good about it?  Unfortunately I do not have a good answer.  I agree with your comments about advertising and trying to better explain how long it takes to do individual tasks.  But I personally wouldn't see virtualization as "Kind of Easy".

---
SJG