Re: "Safely Remove Drive" command gone in F17?

On 05/18/2012 03:01 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
I just saw on a Windows 7 machine that the menu item is labeled "Eject" for a USB drive, so Gnome is not actually doing anything different.
One difference is that on Windows 7, in addition to the "Eject" menu command, there is also a "Safely remove drive" icon in the system tray which makes it crystal clear that the drive is being completely removed from the system.

Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, you get a notification explicitly telling you it's safe to remove it, whereas GNOME has chosen to display a notification only when it is not safe to remove it, thus leaving users guessing about whether it's safe to remove the drive.

Another difference is that on Windows 7, when you eject a drive, it still shows up in "Computer", whereas when you "Safely remove" it, its icon disappears from the "Computer" folder. GNOME has no equivalent that will cause a removeable device to completely go away.

(One way Fedora and Windows 7 are the same is that I just tried my thumb drive with the LED and the light didn't go off when I did "Safely remove" on it, so either I'm remembering wrong that the LED used to turn off, or Windows 7 has changed that behavior.)

  jik